When you walk into the kitchen of the Ronald McDonald House and a group of volunteers are preparing a home-cooked meal for the families, you can just smell the love in the air. It is the aromas of a home-cooked meal or freshly baked cookies, and so much more. It is comfort food that rejuvenates the mind and spirits of families coming home after a long, stressful day at the hospital caring for their loved ones.
“The best part of being a Guest Chef is making the lives of guests a little easier, while they are going through difficult times.”
-Casco Bay Sunrise Rotary Club.
- We recommend planning to cook for 15-20 people, however, you can call the House the day before your scheduled meal for a more accurate headcount.
- For Dinner: Groups should arrive between 4 – 4:30 PM So that dinner will be ready around 5:30-6 pm.
- For Breakfast: Groups should arrive between 7:30-8 AM, so breakfast is ready to be served at 9 am on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Groups should be limited to 3-5 people.
- All food must be prepared in the kitchen at the Portland House, with the exception of food prepared in a commercial kitchen.
- If you plan to grill, please review our instructions on proper use: Grill Instructions
Returning Guest Chefs
Please contact the House Manager, Will, to set up another date. We are so excited and appreciate your interest in volunteering again!
Phone: 207-780-6282 ext. 316
New Guest Chefs
- Please download and review the Guest Chef Program Guidelines. There’s a ton of helpful information in there!
- Complete the Volunteer Application and Confidentiality Forms. (Groups should submit one form using the group leader’s information).
- Once your application paperwork is received, our House Manager, Will, will reach out to set up a call to further discuss the program guidelines and next steps.