In the spring of 1987, a diverse group of community leaders banded together to form Stand By Me, a group which worked tirelessly to spearhead the movement to build the Ronald McDonald House in Portland. In 2005 it became evident that our 15 guest rooms were insufficient to meet the increased need. Numerous meetings with an architect, neighbors, neighborhood associations, the Historic Preservation Board, the Portland Planning Board, and the City Council were held. Our new plan to renovate the existing House and expand into 63 Carleton Street was embraced by all neighborhood and government agencies.
Since the spring of 1995, through the hard work and efforts of the Stand By Me Board of Directors, Maine McDonald’s Restaurants Owner/Operators, the generosity of the good people of Maine and New Hampshire, volunteers, the medical community, faith-based groups, the business community, foundations, state government personnel, and civic organizations, the excellent design of Scott Simons Architects, original construction by Pochebit Construction, and the recent renovation transformation by The Thaxter Company, the 18,399 square foot facility now provides up to 21 families each night with a home away from home to families of critically-ill children receiving treatment at nearby hospitals.
- Private bedroom, shared bathroom.
- A full kitchen is available for use with shared refrigerators and stocked pantry generously donated by our community.
- Guest Chef meals prepared by groups are often available.
- Complimentary WIFI provided by AT&T.
- For nursing moms, shared breast pumps are available.
- Complimentary laundry facilities.
- Indoor playroom and outdoor playground.
Important Notes for Families
- Check in hours: 8 am to 8 pm, 7 days a week
- Rooms must be used each night to retain your stay.
- A $10 nightly donation is suggested. No family is turned away for inability to pay.
- Room capacity – 4 persons per bedroom maximum.
- You are responsible for cleaning up after your family in any shared, common area and for cleaning your room before check-out. Cleaning supplies are provided.