Thank you for your interest in volunteering at our
Ronald McDonald House in Portland!
Browse the opportunities available below.
Our Shift Volunteers make our Houses feel like a “home-away-from-home.” Guest Services Volunteers maintain a set schedule of 3-hour shifts weekly. Guest Services Volunteers must be at least 18-years-old and commit to at least 6 months of service, subject to our needs.
- Be the “host or hostess” of our House. Greet guests and volunteers, answer phones, help with family check-ins, and give tours as needed.
- Help keep our House clean and organized. Clean play areas, organize library, wipe down tables, re-stock items around the House, sanitize toys, etc.
- Help keep our kitchen spotless and welcoming for families and meal groups. Clean out refrigerators, empty dishwashers, re-stock kitchen supplies, etc.
1. Complete our online application
2. Attend a volunteer orientation session
3. Complete a criminal background check
4. Schedule and complete your first day of training
5. Set up your volunteer schedule with our House Manager, Raymond Ruby.
Our Guest Chef Program provide a well-balanced meal to warm the hearts and bellies of families when they return from a long day at the hospital. This program is for groups with a maximum of 8 volunteers at our House in Bangor. All volunteers must be at least 9 years old and accompanied by an adult chaperone if under 18 years old.
- Family meals should serve approximately 25 people for the Portland House, and approximately 15-20 for the Bangor House.
- Dinner is served buffet style at 6 pm. Groups should arrive between 4 – 4:30 p.m.
- Breakfast is served at 9 am on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Groups should be limited to 8 people.
- All food must be prepared in RMH’s kitchen, with the exception of food prepared in a commercial kitchen.
- If you plan to grill, please review our instructions on proper use: Grill Instructions
Tab Top Program
Individuals, schools, businesses and corporations can help raise funds by saving tab tops from aluminum cans and recycling them for the proceeds to benefit our Houses. Learn More.
Wish List Drive
Collect items that are crucial to making our House a home. Download a wish list, or shop from the comfort of your home with our Amazon wish list.
Host a Fundraising Event
Host an event and donate the proceeds to benefit our Houses. Office jeans day, garage sale, lemonade stand, you name it! Learn More.